Thursday, July 10, 2008

They Don't Pay These Folks Enough!


Madelyn is obsessed with flying. I am not. I took a walk down by the river today to watch these incredibly brave people dip down into the Clark Fork River to pick up water (and presumably a few trout) in these immense dump buckets. Apparently there are two people in the chopper, although I could only ever see the pilot. One guy flies, the other guy gets to hit the plunger on the bucket. If I could choose, I'd be the plunger-guy any day.


This is an incredibly precise process (and I'm not just talking about the skill it takes to get four feet off the river to pick up the water). This crew hit the fire line EVERY time last night, and to watch the water fall and the fire go out seconds later was a thing of beauty.


It's topping 90 degrees in Missoula at the moment. I have to say that although the reason these choppers are here is not so great, the fact that as they lifted off the water and flew overhead, they sprayed water all over the spectators and cooled us off quite a bit, too!

No comments: