Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Two years...it seems like just yesterday...

It's been two years since we suffered the loss of my daughter's good friend, Barry Simon. Barry died, curled up in his mother's arms, two years ago today, on a sunny Saturday afternoon after a five year battle against Fanconi Anemia. He is sorely missed, and his photo is on our refrigerator next to that of Alex, my nephew, who we lost nearly 15 years ago from a virulent strain of meningitis.

I miss you both. Thomas has started a little game of make-believe about my nephew. Alex died when he was five and a half years old, exactly how old Thomas is now. I cannot imagine losing my son at this sweet age. Thomas talks about his cousin who lives with God and talks about how Alex is all better but can't come to play with him, but he wishes he would. My mother recently sent a toy to Thomas that Alex had played with years ago, and my son, who is notoriously harsh on toys, is incredibly gentle with this one, almost giving it a type of reverence.

I was with both Barry and my nephew on the day before they passed away. Barry was tired, but talkative (see my blog post from September 2008). Alex was unconscious and on life support. I remember sitting next to his bed holding his hand, just amazed at how big it was. In reality, I'm sure it wasn't much bigger than Thomas' hand is now. I just wanted him to wake up so badly. We all did. And when the time came where his heart stopped beating, while listening to the soundtrack from The Lion King, we were all saddened beyond belief.

I am inspired by parents who have lost their children, who get up day after day in the face of insurmountable loss, and are able to care for their other children, to comfort those around them, and to, eventually, laugh and smile again.

So in honor of Barry Simon, and Alex Bleau, and to Cindy Wamsley (Barry's mom) and Trish, my sister, and to countless others who have lost their children far too soon, I wish you peace, and I hope that all of us, at some point in our lives, can experience the love and joy and sweetness that was personified in these two boys.

1 comment:

~Missy said...

What a beautiful tribute and so beautifully said (as usual) .. I am constantly moved and inspired by you Maureen when you speak of these to wonderful boys. Love and peace to you, Cindy and Trish.