Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The Bigger Picture

Photographers, like many artists, have moments where they feel tortured. Some of us feel this way more than others. If there is any feedback that my friends (photographers and otherwise) give to me is that I am my own worst critic, my own worst judge, and more often than not, my own worst enemy. I'm not sure if it was turning 40 this year, or if it was something else, but one day recently I woke up and started asking myself if I'd chosen the right path as a photographer--was my decision to pursue this passion something that would be ultimately incredibly rewarding, or would it lead to the demise of every comfort I've worked the past forty years to acquire. It might just be some intense soul-searching. It might be the effect of a very gray and overcast February. It might be the realization that life is what you make of it. Regardless of the reason behind it, the feelings and emotions are quite real.

Then I came across this guest blog entry created in February by Zack Arias. I realized that I was not alone, and judging by the 10,000 + views and comments made on this mini-documentary, Stick with it...it begins like a photography tutorial, but ends on a dramatically different note.

Oh...and the "big changes" I alluded to earlier...I quit my day job this week. Let the new adventures begin!

No comments: