Friday, February 6, 2009

Friendship


I have some amazing friends. By the jokes and taunts I get on my Facebook page, some would say I have too many friends. But as we all do, we have friendships with differing levels of intensity, intimacy, social function, risk. I have been amazed at the number of people I've reconnected with in the past two or three months on Facebook, and while I will agree that it is an amazing time-sucker, I would not trade these past few months for the world. I've rekindled relationships with people I haven't talked to in twenty years, opened new doors, relied on the expertise of the careers of my classmates, and healed some very old, deep wounds. I can't condemn something as a time waster when it's been such a powerful thing.

My friend Carel sent me this link by Kelly Corrigan, author of "The Middle Place", from YouTube today. If you have a moment, watch it. If you have a half hour, watch it several times. It's based on the strong friendships of women, but I'd like to say that I know a few men who would rank right up there with her amazing list and tribute. Think of your friends today. Write them a quick note, or an email, or a text. In the long run, you will be very happy that you did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maureen... you are the best... 30 years ago we met, but I think our friendship now is so wonderful & true.. you empower me everyday, I am truly blessed to have you as a dear friend. I sometimes reflect on all the sunshine you've brought into my life... I'm so lucky to have you as a friend, you bring "light" wherever you go.
Thank you for being you and thank you for the treasure of your friendship... you're the best!
Lots of Love,
Missy ox